Thursday, July 16, 2009

So much to think about.

Wow what a roller coaster of emotion and feelings the past few weeks. I have started my new job as a REAL nurse. I is hard to think that I am doing real nurse stuff. My biggest challenge was my first day working on the floor. It was surreal, survival, and exhaustion all mixed together.

My first day was supposed to be a follow my orienting nurse around a get the hang of how and where things are. Well that is so not what happened. It took a turn for the worse, the terrible worse. My patients who I cannot say much about they were younger then 40 coded. For all who don't know what that means, it means stopped breathing, heart rate at nothing.....pretty much dead. Yeah new nurse, knows no-one and is now doing CPR on this individual. Talk about one heck of an adrenaline rush. Then the little kids walked in and the emotion all changed. I traded out at then end of my turn and grabbed the one child. We sat and cried and cried together. All I could think of was my own little girls at home being in this situation.

It was very hard to deal with the kids involved, it made it too personal. I cried many tears and reflected on the fragility of life. Having my patient pass away on the first day was not what I expected for a day of orientation.

I again was sucked back to reality and the ultimate appreciation for my husband and monkey babies. It reminded me that Heavenly Father truly is in charge of our existence here and when our time is done.

The rest of the week brought much chaos yet peace and the ability to cry about life and learn from it, then move on!! I LOVE my life, I love my family, I am even grateful for the yucky times. It makes each of us who we are!!!

6 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Wow, some orientation!~ That is nuts! isn't that what they call baptism by fire? Adam's first call was a car accident kid who lost 2 teeth, and degloved their gums, they said that is about as bad as they have Ever seen... So no his patient didn't die, but it was still about as bad as it gets for a dentist. I hope it is all up hill from here...Crazy! You are amazing, don't know how you did it!

Mason Family said...

I guess you are jumping head first. :) Things will get better. You are awesome and you will do awesome and amazing things! :) Good luck!

Lindsey said...

I bet that child will remember you for the rest of his life.

Amanda said...

Nurses are the most important people to individuals that are in the hospital and to their families. Even when someone looses someone special to them - your job is now the most important and appreciated job (and underappreciated job). So thank you for taking on this role. I always have appreciated the help that the nurses are to me (especially this past year).

That child will always remember you and appreciate how you helped him get through that rough moment in his life.

So rough first week - so here is to week 2.

Becky said...

Wow! I really admire you for getting into this profession. I feel that it is one of the most important jobs in the world, and it truly takes a special kind of person with a gift for compassion. Thank you for sticking it out and working so hard so that you can make a difference to so many people. Nurses are hero's...and angels all rolled into one!

Rachel said...

Holy cow! And that's all i have to say about that. Well, that and you're awesome!