Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An explanation of Vietnam...

So I been asked more then once why I am taking a "trip" half way around the world. Well isn't Vietnam your exotic destination choice for a 2 1/2 week relaxing vacation? No? yeah me neither. I have a once is a life-time chance to go there for a study abroad service. I am going with school (obviously study abroad, yeah I am up way to late). We go with an organization call COPI. There are 12 nursing students two instructors, a few dentists and doctors. We go there and pretend we are nurses (well we are not real until we graduate and pass boards hehe). We have the opportunity to serve in several orphanages there, small back country villages, and even GULP a leprosy camp.

It was with much debate whether to go or not. I made up my mind not to, but spent the next several nights in tears because I knew my decision was not the right one. I had so many worries such as the financial cost, what about Bean and the girls. Could I really leave them for that long. Now when the girls are having a bad no good horrible day, I say to myself, yup I can go (terrible but come on, you have to agree!) then there are the days full of hugs and smiles and I think WHAT AM I DOING? Well after diligent prayer, tears, frustrations, flip-flop decision making, and the how the heck are we going to pay for this, I knew what my answer was. GO STUPID!!

A great friend, who I am glad is going with me, put it into perspective. You can always get the money back, but the memories are irreplaceable. That I could deal with. SO, now begins the frantic journey of coming up with $2,500 dollars in 1 month. AHHHHH. I have thought about many ideas..but alas, I do not sew and we all know for a fact me and crafts are mortal enemies. I have pondered the thought of making a selling tutu's but I would have to sell 9 bagillion, yes that is a real number in my world, of them to make that kind of money. So, what to do. PRAY. I felt like going was the right decision, so I have only the up-most faith that the financial road will be paved with gold (I couldn't resist), or many rocks that are worth money.

So, when I leave, keep my little family and those of us serving over there in your prayers. We all want to be safe, fulfill some awesome service needs and have a life-altering experience while doing it. I hope that offers up the explanation to the questions. Till next time...

2 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Adam went to the Dominican Republic for a week to do dentistry last June, It was a Very cool experience, and it really opened his eyes to the good that is needed in the world. And the hand he can play in that, So I am completely convinced that you will probably have a life changing experience and it will make you a better Mother, wife and Nurse! So Way to go! I hope and pray your money comes through and you have a fabulous trip!

LAINA said...

Sounds like such a blast. I would finance you myself if only I was super rich and wasn't preparing to pay for the road of medical school. But I am sure that things will fall into place as they should. Good luck and have a great time.