Sunday, October 12, 2008

Becoming Prepared...

It is not often that I brag about something other then my family. We have been asked repeatedly over the years to prepare ourselves and our family's for times of trial or disaster. We had tried our best to obtain and store what we could while living in student housing, but now that we are free from there and actually have room, we have dove right in. The first thing that we do every year is get down to botteling some good ol' fashion peaches. (We did four boxes like the one in the picture.) Nothing is better then those. We did pears last year and I will never do that again. They are a pain. Dave was a trooper and helped me out. We did 40 quarts in about 3 hours. WE ROCKED!! It did help to have to canners going at the same time, but hey I like to think I am awesome once in a while. Though to clean up the mess I think took a lot longer. We will be enjoying those tasty treats all winter long yumm!!! We also froze some to make delicious smoothies. mmmmmmm


And if anyone wasn't my friend before, maybe I could convince you all now to be. Take a look at that food storage!!
Okay, it may not look like a lot but it really is. A great friend of mine, Heather, so willingly helped me can tons on a Friday night and Big Bean finished up on Sat morning. In total we canned 175 lbs of sugar, 125 lbs of flour, and 175 lbs of rice. Wew, that was a lot, but we actually did all but the flour in less then two hours. THANKS HEATHER!!!

So this is my encouragement to all of you. YOU CAN DO IT!! Just start out a little at a time and shop those sales, and before you know it, there is really a ton that you have bought. But plan. Make sure you buy logical things! And in case anyone is wondering, we are not open for business.

5 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Wow I am so impressed! That is some amazing food storage! did you by that canner? I just ordered wheat from the church, they have free shipping and living so far from UT it is nice to still be able to access that resource! We kinda ate down our food storage this summer which I guess is good too but we need to get back to building it up! Which I am working at slowly. It will be exciting one day like you to get out of a small apartment and have a space for all that food, yours looks wonderful and organized! Way to go!

Aria said...

You are so inspiring! Mr. Rochester and I have been talking about how we need to get food storage together now that we have more room as well. Last weekend I made four different soups and froze them all but that is more like...freezer storage and I did it mainly because I'm just tired in the evenings and it is so much easier to heat something up that cook it from scratch. I really just need to get a good job so we can purchase some food storage! I'm still waiting to hear back about my most recent interview last week and I'm still hoping that this job will work out. Miss you guys!

Cori said...

Oh man, I am so jealous. Trying to have food storage while living in this apartment has been hard. Underneath beds and closets are full. We don't have anywhere to store water barrels. And that makes me so nervous. But it looks like if something happens I know where to go!!

Mama Bean said...

In answer to questions....the canner can be checked out for free at the church cannery. You just have to buy the cans and such!! It was kinda fun and gratifying.

Cameron/Melissa said...

Good job canning. That is some amazing food storage. I love using the canner. I have never heard of being able to check a canner out. That may only be local.